Thursday, October 14, 2010

Me, Myself, and the Bouquet of Flowers

Recently, I realized I had been acting rudely towards myself, not giving her enough quality time… So, yesterday, on my way home from the dentist's, I decided to spend some time with her; just me and her, no one else!


We shared headphones, listening to our favorite soundtracks on my mobile phone, as we walked together, looking up at the dark starless-sky, and breathing as much of Cairo's polluted air as our lungs could possibly take in…


We decided to stay silent for some time, trying to establish some sort of communication with Allah, thanking Him for everything we've gone through… We wanted to let Him know how grateful and honored we are to have Him as our life mentor and guide…


We went on our way, remembering things that we've been through together, and laughing very hard inside! We now understood so many things that we had never even thought about a few days ago…


People looked at us as if we were crazy; seeing us happily smiling … They might have even mumbled some words to let us know how stupid they thought we were! However, the sound of the motivational music we were listening to was just too loud for us to hear any of their sarcastic words!


While walking, singing and laughing, we passed by a flower shop. I looked at the flowers they had on display, admired the colors of some, then looked ahead and continued on my way.


Myself stopped me. She wanted to have a closer look at the flowers. So, she asked me to join her and take a walk inside the shop to see if they really have good flowers there. I thought it was useless to do so.


I wasn't gonna buy flowers for myself! I know she LOVES them, however, I've never bought her any (except maybe once on a Valentine's Day back when we were in college! :D) because I always thought she likes to get them from others, not from me. So why go in, if we weren't gonna buy anything anyway?!


She reminded me that this was "her" quality time, so I had to shut up and silently walk in with her. And… I ended up buying her a nice costly bouquet of cute purple and white flowers. She held it carefully, close to her heart, and never had I seen her that happy before! It was the first time I had actually gotten her something she really loved!


When we walked a little bit further, listening to some more music, we passed by the falafel shop ""باباي in Mustafa El Na77aas, and she reminded me that she had wanted to eat a fries sandwich for a whole week now, but I hadn't had the time to buy it for her. I decided that since this was her day, I'll get her whatever she asks for.


We walked in with the flower bouquet, and ordered her the sandwich she wanted. No need to tell anyone about the extremely sarcastic looks we received from the workers in the shop there because of the bouquet myself was carrying! I think we can all imagine…


We finally got our sandwich and went out of the shop. She started eating it as if she hadn't eaten anything for a whole week or something. "I had really missed this delicious taste! Mmmm", said myself, getting the final bite of the sandwich. She was very happy!


I noticed she smelled the flowers every now and then, as if she was trying to keep their lovely scent inside her nose for the longest possible duration. She even did that while eating and crossing the streets! It was as if she couldn't believe I had bought her such lovely flowers.


I wanted to turn back home, but she was so excited to continue walking with me for a longer while. She felt I wasn't gonna be be able to give her such amazing quality time anytime soon especially with a busy, busy, busy schedule like the one I'm having these days! So, we carried on…


At some streets, the cars' noise was just too much for myself to take. So, I suggested we'd turn the volume of my mobile phone to the highest level, and sing out loud with the songs. Our voice won't be heard in this unbelievable noise, and no one was walking in those streets anyway; only cars were passing by.


We tried that, and it ROCKED! It was absolutely A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! We had done that together tons of times before in my car, but we never imagined it would be THAT exciting doing it in the street of Cairo!! It was so … liberating, I guess!


While walking together, and right in the middle of the song; "If Today Was Your Last Day", the Mosque on "Mustafa EL Na77aas" street caught our attention, with all the light coming out of it. Myself told me that she had a very strong urge to go there for a quick prayer.


"It won't take us more than 10 minutes, I promise", said myself. She explained that since she was having such an amazing time with me, she thought it was necessary to remember to thank Allah; for He is the one who allowed her to feel this happiness and excitement in the first place… for no clearly specific reason…


I agreed. We crossed the street and headed towards the women's prayer area. Unfortunately, it had already been closed, because it was about an hour and a half after "Al Isha" prayer! :S…


We crossed the street back again, and headed towards the supermarket. I knew I had to buy myself some ice-cream, just like I always do every time we come back from the dentist's. She had already eaten up the whole fries sandwich, however, there was always room for ice-cream! Always! :)


I bought myself a chocolate cone, and felt this strong urge to buy my mom another one. So I did…


On my way back home, mom called me up and asked where I had been. "Your car is parked right here in front of the building, so where are you?!", she said feeling worried. I told her I went to buy some ice-cream and was on my way home. So, of course I got my share of "tahzee2" for not letting her know that I was going to walk alone at night, to go buy ice-cream!!!


I took myself back home right away and gave my mom her ice-cream cone. I found my sisters still awake, so I showed them the bouquet of flowers, telling them how excited myself was to have received this gift from me!


My mom and sisters all gave me the "لا حول ولا قوة الا بالله " look, as if they were feeling sorry for me to have lost my mind! They knew nothing about the happiness and excitement I felt inside, after going on this short trip with myself…


And I guess they never will…

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I want myself to take me there and do exactly what you did. That is one of the best things you can do to yourself, yourself is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Noor, thanks a lot for the lovely comment! :D :) You can do it too! You just need to set some time aside for you bestttt friend ever; your self! :)

    ReplyDelete